17 March 2007

Mysterious Wreck Retains Her Secrets

12 divers from as far a field as Croydon & Norwich boarded the (brand new!) Channel Diver at Brighton today . The boat cast-off shortly after 8am and against lively seas made progress towards the South West sailing to a point south od Shoreham . After an hour or so of switch-back ride the boat circled the last known co-ordinates for the stricken vessel. 'Adventurous' was the word running unspoken through several divers minds, but the swell had reduced a little an most ventured down the shot line to a wreck that hithero hadn't appeared my my log book.

The 'Big Boys' were amongst the first in, with rebreathers and stages. Then followed more common rigs and then rigs like mine (very common!). But as Jim H and I neared the bottom of the shot line ,'What was this?' divers coming back! It was certainly very dark , and the viz was less than a metre. Were they in problems? No, they had just thought 'enough is enough' . The shot was at 23m and on top of the wreck and after a fairly short while Jim & I decided to follow the 'Big Boys' , back up the line! On surfacing after 20mins all but one other pair were back on the boat!

So the wreck revealed nothing to us , which wreck was it ? Hard to say but it was at the co-ordinates of the Pentyrch (Page 97 Dive Sussex), so I guess it was the Pentyrch, how would I know? I didn't see more than my hand hold!

Oh well that the 'starting gun' for me , 1st UK Sea dive this season , it can only get better! Steve, the Skipper laid a bet with me that after all my kit servicing I'd get a free-flow. Well all the kit worked like a dream , well done Ocean View!

12 comments:

Jimbob said...

Is everything supposed to stop rolling once you get back on dry land?

Tad said...

how much does that dive work out a minute then

Chris-P said...

Well, Tad, some people know the cost of everything but don't know the value of anything....but....in terms of cost fordive time only it works out at £1.90 a minute, or , if you prefer £114 an hour! Of you cost the whole time from getting on the boat to getting off of it, it's more like 8 pence a minute £5.00 an hour! But the experience is invaluable! ;-)

Chris-P said...

Costing out a dive! It's far worse than I thought Tad! I took a look at the computer profile. I tool us five minutes to descend on to the wreck, wew were on the wreck for 5mins and 40 seconds before ascending. This means the dive cost us just over 11p per second actually on the wreck! This of course doesn't take account of any costs other than the boat charter itself! Scarey stuff alright!

Tad said...

I cant believe you did this but hey we all know that diving is addictive and it doesnt really matter what it costs beccause we do it cos we love it.

Tad said...

good profile by the way text book stuff

Chris-P said...

You do have question yourself sometimes "What is that all about?" . The ride out was BUMPY! Several seasoned divers fed the fish! Very little was eaten on board - part of one choc digestive was all I could manage while at sea! Returning to the quayside put us 100m from MacDonalds , need I say more!

Jimbob said...

What's the PADI sign for
"I'm out of air, miserable and would be quite happy to can this dive, is it cost effective to do so?"
Sounds like I might be needing it.
I'm joking if you are.

Chris-P said...

Never mind misery & cost effectiveness, my advice , if you are out of air is to can the dive whether you know the sign or not!

Jimbob said...

"my advice , if you are out of air is to can the dive whether you know the sign or not!"
You'd still check your spreadsheet first though, wouldn't you?
How does it go?
"Stop, think, cost analysis factoring in depreciation and service overheads, act".
Thanks for the dive by the way, I enjoyed the whole thing. I don't like over burdening myself on the first few dives of the year so this dive took me a dive closer to being able to take my camera. Worth every minute.

Simon-T said...

After my dive at Horsea a couple of weeks ago I am off there again on Sunday. More weight for my dry suit and more understanding after a pool dive. Looking to be there at about 11:00. Once again, the more the merrier? I'll ask my buddy there about Swanage. It's all prep. for my first sea dive of the year on 31st March, Indiana wreck. Sounds like the viz can only be better. Oh dear, shouldn't have said that!!!

Chris-P said...

Fair point Jim, the good news is that Scubapro are bringing out a new computer called the Galileo Sale and it will do all the usual calculations (NDLs, Dive Time, Ascent rate etc etc) but will ALSO have real-time cost benefit algorithm running in the background which will give you a display in £s , Euros or US Dollars. Of course the traditionalists will continue to use spreadsheets but mark my words in time everyone will be running Sale technology!