10 July 2007

Diver in Lobster Wrestling Match

An experienced diver told how he "wrestled" a 3ft (0.9m) lobster into a string bag after it attacked him. Chris Hovard, from Wyke Regis, Dorset, was diving when the creature - weighing more than 10lbs - scuttled towards him near Weymouth jetty on Saturday.
The 51-year-old, who has been diving for 34 years, said he had never seen a crustacean "anywhere near this size". The lobster, he named Lemmy after the lead singer of rock band Motorhead, is now at Weymouth's Sea Life Park.
Mr Hovard said: "I was diving when I spotted an old boiler which I believe may have been used in the Northe Fort in the olden days and then was thrown into the sea when it was no longer needed. I was swimming around it when the lobster came at me, its claws snapping. I could hardly get my hand across the back of its shell. You'd need a saddle to ride it. I managed to get it with a pincer movement. The commotion stirred up a silt cloud which momentarily stunned him and this was when I managed to grab him." Lemmy is thought to be about 50 years old.
PS I can think of another near 50 year old crustacean (Sorry Chris) I also think he may know some other old boilers down Dorset way

3 comments:

Chris-P said...

Never mind crustacean ....who's the old boiler?

SaraDivingDiva said...

who's the old boiler?

Tad?!!!!

Tad said...

Lemmy is obviously a rock lobster