14 September 2009

The Wreck of the Nyon ~ Sunday 14th September

The MV Nyon has an interesting story This Swiss cargo vessel was grounded in Eyemouth a popular area for diving up in the land of the kilt and Haggis in 1958 The Nyon, a 5058 tonne Swiss Cargo ship, struck Meg Watson’s Rock, 4 miles northwest of St Abbs Head, on her way from Leith to Dakar. The stern half of the ship was salved and towed to Holland where a new bow was fitted

A stranded Nyon in 1958

Move on to 1962 and the now repaired MV Nyon was heading down the channel carrying a cargo of cars and other bits and pieces when she was in a collision with the Indian Jalazad about 10 miles south of Beachy Head and sank.

Collision Damage the Jalazad

Present day and a group of us are heading on TunWells Diver out to dive the Nyon and it is another first for me. The Nyon has long been on my list of must do wreck dives and with slightly choppy seas I was soon to be achieving that long held aim to dive her. Reaching the site it was the the usual well rehearsed job of shotting the wreck and soon we were hitting the water with Jamie and Ian heading down first to tie in. Derek and me were second in and looking down the shot the vis looked like it may be ok and the light seemed to be staying with us.

The wreck sits about 45m of water on low tide and it seemed to take a while to hit the wreck but we were soon on the wreck which sits on her side and we were towards the stern area. I had to watch my depth as my mix didnt allow me past 38.6 m with a 28% set at 1.4.

The vis was was around 3-4 m and although dark you could just about getway without using a torch on the highest part of the stern . I amused myself whilst Derek busied himself with his camera taking photos. Piles of empty coke a cola bottles lay beneath us in broken crates and coils of cable still lay on the tilted decks. The water was very green and an abandoned net was draped over a peice of machinery ready to catch the unwary.

The bottom time whizzed by and Derek had already deployed his SMB and was starting his ascent above me so I decided to join him and start the slow jouney back to the surface.

Another Great dive and yet again I look forward to doing it again when the conditions are better and I can get a better feel for the wreck .Thanks again to the TWSAC Boys Derek Rob Jools Graham Geoff and Ian for the trip out and the interesting long trip back.

If you are ever up in the Eyemouth / St Abbs area you can dive the remains of the Nyons original Bow which sits in about 9m and then shoot down south and dive the rest of the wreck at a far more exciting depth. Quite unique me thinks


No comments: